www.ChangeGambia.Org / Skype: ChangeGambia / Twitter: @ChangeGambia
Phone: +221 77 561-0557 / +1(912) 306-4423
The Coalition for Change - The Gambia (CCG) is calling on all its members and supporters as well as the international community to take comprehensive measures to end Yahya Jammeh's dictatorial regime in The Gambia. The extrajudicial killings of real and perceived opponents of the regime; the arrests, torture, murders and harassment of journalists, students, security officers, and others; and the illegal executions of nine prisoners, have taken Yahya Jammeh's regime to a new low.
The CCG Executive is convinced that the Gambian dictatorship is illegal, irresponsible, ruthless, and beyond reform. We are therefore calling on all our compatriots and the international community to devise more aggressive measures to topple the regime peacefully.
President Jammeh has virtually shut all avenues of peaceful, democratic change in The Gambia. Unless we take decisive action to put a final stop to his madness, we will have no one to blame if the floodgates of violence are open on us.
Yahya Jammeh is the state, the ruling party, chancellor, chief medical practitioner, chief executioner, chief imam, etc. Then pressure must be exerted on Jammeh, as the government, to do the following:
(1) declare a permanent moratorium on executions pending a constitutionally-mandated review of the desirability or otherwise of the death penalty;
(2) release all political prisoners and illegally detained persons, including: Ebrima Jallow, M. B. Sarr, Imam Baba Leigh, Lawyer Amie Bensouda, and Abdourahman Baldeh - a Senegalese national detained without charge since 1997;.
(3) Provide the International Committee of the Red Cross access to prisons to enable it to ensure that minimum standards are being met;
(4) Unblock websites such as ChangeGambia.org, FreedomNewspaper.com, HelloGambia.com, JollofNews.com, and others, to allow Gambians unfettered access to information; and,
(5) Remove all impediments to the full operations of The DailyNews, The Standard, and Teranga FM so that they can continue informing and educating the Gambian populace unhindered.
Unless these measures are implemented forthwith, the international community must work hand in hand with all progressive, democratic groups to effect the necessary regime change in The Gambia.
We have a choice to make.
Dr. Amadou Scattred Janneh,