Our deepest apologies for the misreporting in the case of the detained Teranga FM MD. Our reporter said he was misinformed by a judicial source, who told him that the radio anchor has been granted bail, when he was not. We apologize for any inconvenience our reportage might have caused.

By this rejoinder, we have communicated to our reporter, to be more responsible in his reporting. In that he has been advised to crosscheck his facts before filing his stories.

We also want to thank our readers for bringing to our attention to the inaccurate reporting. We take full responsibility for the error. To err is human, and we crave your indulgence. Thanks for your attention.  


The bail application ruling in the case of the State versus Alhagie Abdoulie Ceesay, the Managing Director of the Teranga FM radio, was earlier adjourned to Monday, 8th of February, 2016. The case could not be heard in the last court sitting,  as the trial judge wass said to be sick. The judge could not make it in court; hence both the prosecution and the defense team were told by the Clerk of the Court that the matter has been adjourned to today Monday.

It would be recalled that Mr. Ceesay has been accused of sedition among other felonious charges. His Lawyer Gaye Coker, the daughter of veteran Gambian lawyer Antouman Gaye, has earlier filed a bail application on behalf of Mr. Ceesay.

Mr. Ceesay was arrested in the aftermath of the July 22nd military takeover celebrations. He was accused of circulating a portrait carrying the face of a snipper, who according to the literature contained in the portrait was determined to shoot The Gambian dictator. Two of the girls, named in the criminal complaint as witnesses, have since fled to Senegal. The girls, one of whom worked at the State House told the NIA that Ceesay forwarded a Facebook message to her phone, which contained the snipper portrait.

The portrait in question was posted by an exiled former GRTS news presenter in her Facebook timeline. Ceesay was alleged to have shared the said posting with the girls. The matter is now before the court for litigation. Ceesay has pleaded not guilty to the charges.

Written By Our Correspondent In Banjul


Join The Conversation