President Adama Barrow has appointed Sheikh Omar Faye as his Defense Minister. Faye had served as Gambian Ambassador to the United States during dictator Jammeh’s rule. He was the Consul General at The Gambian Consulate in Jeddah, until his appointment as Defense Minister. Faye has became the first Gambian Defense Minister under Barrow’s rule. His is a native of Banjul.
Faye resigned from Jammeh’s government in the wake of Gambia’s month long political impasse. He had inspired other Gambian Ambassadors around the globe to join him in quitting their appointments.
Faye is a former army officer. He had served in the then ECOMOG troops in Liberia back in the 90s.
President Adama Barrow has also replaced his Interior Minister Ebrima Mballow. Mballow replaced by Yankuba Sonko, a former police chief. Mballow has been redeployed to the Foreign Service.
Also replaced was Gambia’s Secretary General and Head of the Civil Service Ebrima Camara. Camara has been replaced by Muhammed B.S Jallow. Camara too has been redeployed to the Foreign Service.
President Adama Barrow Appoints Defence Minister in a Mini Cabinet Re-shuffle
The Public is hereby informed that His Excellency, President Adama Barrow, acting under sections 71 (3), 71 (4), 167, and 168 of the 1997 Constitution of The Gambia has made the following changes in his Cabinet with effect from Thursday, 22ndAugust, 2019:
1) Mr. Sheikh Omar Faye has been appointed as the Minister of Defence. Until his appointment, Mr Faye was Consul General in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.
2) Ebrima M. Mballow has been relieved of his duties as the Minister of Interior and re-deployed to the Foreign Service.
3) Mr. Yankuba Sonko replaces Honourable Mballow as the Minister of Interior. He has previously served as Inspector General of The Gambia Police Force.
4) Honorable Ebrima O. Camara has also been relieved of his appointment as the Secretary General and Head of the Civil Service and redeployed to the Foreign Service.
5) Mr. Muhammed B.S. Jallow replaces Ebrima O. Camara as the Secretary General and Head of the Civil Service. Until his appointment, Mr. Jallow was Permanent Secretary at the Office of the President.