The Gambia has registered its first Coronavirus death case, Health Minister Amadou Lamin Samateh has announced on Sunday. The death patient is a Bangladesh national. He died on March 20th, 2020. This was the second Coronavirus case recorded in the country.

The 70-year-old Bangladesh national was a visiting marabout to The Gambia. He had held lecture sessions with Gambians during his trip. He entered the country via Senegal. He was resident at the “Marakash center in Bundung” where he engaged in preaching, where he interacted with a number of people, the Health Minister said.

He was said to have traveled from six other countries, where he was carrying out similar preaching, Samateh added.

He was a known diabetic, Samateh said in a state broadcast on state media. “He was referred to the Edward Francis Small teaching hospital, and he unfortunately passed away in the ambulance before arrival on the 20th of March 2020. However, a sample was taken, and that sample was sent to the lab for confirmation of diagnosis. Active contact tracing is already ongoing, and we urge all people, who interacted with the said person to call 1025 for further advise,” the Health Minister said.

He added that the government would also contact the other countries that the late Bangladesh national had visited before his death.

According to Samateh, 124 people had been currently quarantined. He added that 17 of the quarantined people had absconded. He warned that the absconded folks are exposing their families to great risk and therefore, called on them to report back to the quarantine site or risked being arrested.

Below is a press release from the Health Ministry


#Gambia #COVID19 update

Sunday 22nd March 2020

Ministry of Health hereby inform the public that a man in his 70s from Bangladesh tested positive of COVID-19. He came to The Gambia from Senegal on the 13th March 2020 as a preacher. He was in six other countries where he was carrying out similar preaching. He was a known diabetic who presented at a health facility. He was later referred to the Edward Francis Small Teaching Hospital and he unfortunately passed away in the ambulance before arrival on the 20th March 2020.

Sample was collected, send to MRC and the results were delivered today and was confirmed to be positive.

To prevent yourself and your family, always wash your hands with soap, do NOT touch your face, do NOT shake hands, keep away from public gatherings. For more info call 1025 help line.



Join The Conversation